What Happends when you mix Bicycles and Motobikes

First of all I'm sorry I don't speak a word of German, but I'm also sure some of you will enjoy the results of my two passion combine.

64758198-L.jpg

I'm being in love with bicycles for years, but now that I live in California, i find my self in a country that is so big i need a faster way to get around.
53532196-L.jpg

I Build the rack for my BMW GS in 1996 and so far I have about 200,000kms carrying bicycle around with out ever having a problem.
1600116-L.jpg

I can carry a passenger, two bikes and all the camping gear we need, with out any trouble.
47409167-L.jpg

I made the structure for the bicycles out of recycle bike parts I found at the trash can of the shop
16410-L-1.jpg

Please if this is the wrong gallery to post this, let me know or move it to the proper forum, i just want to share my passions with such a nice group of people

Ricardo from Berkeley california in the USA

Oh sometimes I have carried some really crazy stuff.
111026079-L.jpg

Even some "Household" Items when I have too.
133043614-L.jpg

let me know if you like to see my pictures and details I have Plenty.

great!

in germany you wont come far with such a constrution. why? because of the police... safety reason...

I was a little afraid of the legal constrains and getting stop by the cops when i build the rack a few years back, but so far in all this trips, I have never being stop my any police offices do to my bicycles and I have travel the west coast of the north American continent a few times already (From mejico to alaska) plus colorado, utah, arizona, etc

But I totally understand you guys in Europe have no change of ever doing something like this.

sorry for the Tease.:lol:

Hi Ricardo,

that´s a really crazy post :lol:

Verry nice pictures ... absolutely cool construction and I have great respect for you, traveling across the country with it. Never seen anybody who felt in love with "bikes" like you :daumen:

Well, of course it´s impossible to do this in germany, but therefor we are able to drive 300km/h and even faster on our "Autobahn" without braking any law :D

You see, there are allway advantages and disadvantages :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing your story and your pictures with us!!! :bier:

Cheers,
Dan

Dude, you must get a bunch of staggered looks on the road ;)

Looks kinda weird ^^

I have cross the Bay bridge in between Berkeley and san francisco at least 1000 times with bicycles on the motorcycle (I carry many bicycle commuters on their way to work over the bridge) and also cross the Golden gate bridge many times on my way to the trails in the marin county area (were mountain bikes were "invented") lane splitting (going in between cars) at really high speed, and yes I get the looks all the time, but is mostly do to emby because most of the cars are not even moving (Traffic jams) when I'm doing 40 maybe 50KpH on the motorbike..

For example a few years back my bike was selected as the coolest at the "Sea otter" bicycle festival (BIg deal around here and I was not even trying.
64758330-L.jpg

64758232-L-1.jpg

I can also carry One of my Downhil bikes on one side (Nicolai M-Pire on one side) and my Alex Moulton or one of my track bikes on the other side with out any problem since the rack is fully adjustable and really really flexible about the size of the bike I can carry..
125305663-L-1.jpg

So far my Record of bikes carried was 4 complete bike, a extra frame and a bunch of parts like wheels from my house in berkeley to a swap meet in Boulder colorado (2000 kilometers away) but It prove to be a little to much since the total mass of the bike was about 150 kilos (Giant DH bike, Balfa BB7 downhil bike and two somehow heavy vintage mountain bikes)

Sorry I don't have any pictures of that trip (did not have a camara then) but here are some another swap meet pictures.

Everything you see on my space I carry on the motorbike.
48856218-L.jpg

another swap meet trip, smaller one this time.
24634867-L.jpg

Taking one of my old tandem frames to the postal office.
134363157-L-1.jpg

the behavior in curves must be miserable, or?
BMW is with the best motorbike constructer on the world :)
The new GS Adventure looks very nice, also Xchallange & co ;)

Hi Ricardo,

that´s a really crazy post :lol:

Very nice pictures ... absolutely cool construction and I have great respect for you, traveling across the country with it. Never seen anybody who felt in love with "bikes" like you :daumen:

Well, of course it´s impossible to do this in germany, but therefor we are able to drive 300km/h and even faster on our "Autobahn" without braking any law :D

You see, there are allway advantages and disadvantages :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing your story and your pictures with us!!! :bier:

Cheers,
Dan

Oh Dan I love how safe your roadS are (I'm being riding bikes in Germany a few times) so I'm not complaining, on the other hand I love the Liberty to do what I like with out being stop by the cops on every corner (Keep in mind california is actually really strict with laws too)

Actually this whole structure is build out of all bicycle parts.

Just take a look.

The aluminum plate I actually bend on a industrial "Break" (Hydrolic machine) but all the holes were made with a cordless drill (took forever and about ten batteries) you can also see one of the Booms fully extended and the other fully compress.
2822917-L.jpg

The "Compression struts" are made of 24" BMX Bicycle rims.
2822927-L.jpg

The bend tubes that form the loop are road bike handlebars, attach to straight mountain bike handlebars, very strong, but also very light and rust free, just perfect.
2823562-L.jpg

On this picture I have two wheel holder (Yakima, stock bike parts)
2823285-L.jpg

On this one I have four also modified to carry 20MM axle front wheels.

Notice the RED Reflective tape for added visibility at night.
62828844-L-1.jpg

The frame clamps are from "Rhode gear" and work really well.
2823140-L.jpg

Actually a few "Windsurf" parts too.
2822893-L.jpg

From the top, THule roof rack head mount, in the middle a snowboard adjustable binding plate and the white parts are Delrin tubes (nylon) that came on trek bicycles in about 1996 to protect the headset before the bikes were build.
2822899-L.jpg

Well though it looks strange I must admit it's kinda cool and - most important - it works! I mean everybody would figure to get a ****ing car and you did it your way :daumen:

Weil ne BMW verdammt nochmal deutsch ist! Wir bauen die besten Panzer, da können unsre Motorräder so verkehrt nich sein :D

in America you can Buy pleeny nice Motobikes, why a BMW?:kotz: :lol: :cool:

What a stupid harley davidson..!?!?

No way in hell.

Thanks to the almost paranoic attencion to detail of your german brothers at the BMW factory my bike is 370,000 miles old (592.000Kilometers old) with out even a engine re-build, of extremlly hard riding (I think is easy to tell from trails, dirt, stret jumps, deserts, crashes, super heavy loads, really fast riding, etc)

So far I don't know of any other model motorcycle that can do that and still be fun to ride as the big GS.

the behavior in curves must be miserable, or?
Actually I'm almost as fast with two bikes on the motorbike as I'm with out them (maybe I'm not super fast) but I can ride with pretty much anybody at any pace with the bikes on the rack.. (30%40% faster than the posted speed limit)

Yes is for sure more difficult and the wind can be a pain in the butt, but I build the rack in such a way the bicycles flex & sway (like a palm tree) and none of the loads get transmitted into the motorcycle so you don't feel anything, well the bike does tend to do wheelies a little more (lift the front wheel) but is no big deal.
BMW is with the best motorbike constructer on the world :)
Not even close again, they are made like "Tractors" or industrial equipment, they are really slow, heavy and overbuild (not for my use but for most people) if they ride them with out any luggage.
The new GS Adventure looks very nice, also Xchallange & co ;)

Yeah the new models are really nice but a little to complicated for my taste (To much electronics and sensor that go wrong all the time)

I'm of the school of the K.I.S.S.

A.K.A.

keep It Simple Stupid

well I wouldn't hit the twisties with that thing on the back and loaded, but still, pretty cool!

I was trying to figure out a way to carry my bike on my SV650 when I still lived in germany, so I could take it with me on motorcycle trips to the Alps. Even considered a trailer.
But, like the others said - a rack like this is totally out of the question over there. And the few available trailers are expensive.
Now I'm in the US. No Alps -> no more motorcycle for me!

by the way: 600.000km on the first engine, that's quite something, even for a GS!

trails, dirt, stret jumps, deserts, crashes, super heavy loads, really fast riding, etc
What Honda model would you suggest that can do all that? Would have to be an enduro, so either the discontinued Africa Twin or the Transalp. Both are underpowered compared to the GS. I'm not a fan of the BMW looks (and weight) either, but for someone who rides that much and carries that much, I'd say he has the perfect bike.

Zurück
Oben Unten